Waxing is simply a semi-permanent hair removal method. The technique removes hair from the root, and it takes 3 to 8 weeks for the new hair to grow. Unlike other hair removal techniques such as threading, and sugaring; waxing can be done on almost any part of the body including arms, legs, back, eyebrow, abdomen, face, bikini area and feet.
What You Need to Know About Waxing
Here are some waxing facts you need to know…
How it’s Done
Waxing is the most advantageous way of removing excess or unwanted hair from the body. This leaves the waxed area very smooth. To explain how it’s done, we are going to look into the two methods of doing it. Below are the main types of hair removal.
- Hot wax or hard wax- This is among the most popular methods whereby hot wax is applied on the region you wish to wax. The wax is applied in a thick layer then allowed to cool down for it to harden for an easy removal. The wax is then peeled off to remove the hair.
- Strip waxing or soft wax- this method works by spreading the wax in a thin layer over the area you wish to remove the hair. A paper strip is then applied on the area and then ripped off in the opposite direction of hair growth using quick movement. You can also cover the waxed area with a non-woven strip, and when you remove it, the hair comes with it.
Benefits of Waxing
Waxing is considered as one of the most effective hair removal methods for any part of the body. It guarantees a complete removal, even underneath the surface of the skin. There are numerous benefits of waxing and below is a list of just a few:
- Long lasting smooth and silky skin – Waxing removes hair from the root, thus making it take more time for new hair to grow back. The period before new hair growth differs from person to person and skin type, but it’s mostly observed to take 3-8 weeks. The technique ensures an extended period of smooth, silky and hair free skin.
- Exfoliation – Besides leaving the skin soft and smooth, waxing also rejuvenates the skin by removing the dead skin cells. As you remove the hardened wax, dead skin cells come with it.
- No skin damage – Unlike other types of hair removal methods like shaving, waxing does not cause adverse effects such as pigmentation, cuts or bad smelling skin. The wax used in the process is 100% natural thus leaving no chance of reactions.
- Softer and finer body hair – After waxing, the hair that grows back is soft and fine.
Factors to consider before waxing
To get the best out of this technique, there are a few factors that you need to consider. Here are just a few things that should be considered before waxing.
- The hair should be a quarter inch long.
- Wax applied should cover the root of the hair.
- Avoid using lotion since it can cause sensitivity or irritation of the skin
- People under medication should avoid waxing; the products can cause quick exfoliation of the skin leading to scabbing.
- There should be a 24-hour gap after shaving before sunbathing because the skin is still sensitive.